The remains of these two closely adjoining medieval castles, that are one of the traditional tourist destinations, dominate the deep woods of the Protected Nature Area Křivoklátsko.
The romantic ruin of Žebrák originates from the second half of the 13th century, when the Lords of Valdek built the castle. It became a royal property in 1341. It was mainly Emperor Charles IV. who resided there during his journeys to Bohemia. However, it was Točník castle, built on the same foreland, that became a prestigious royal residency. Žebrák was destroyed by a devastating fire in 1532 and since then it has been abandoned.
Točník was built by King Václav IV. as a palatial and luxurious residency before 1398. Točník was twice under siege during the Hussite wars in the first half of the 15th century, but never conquered by the Hussites. It was during its conversion in Renaissance style in the first half of the 16th century that the facades were decorated with sgrafitti. It began to lose its importance and fell into disrepair in the 17th century. The royal palace, with its large and imposing hall (converted to a chapel in 1733) is the best-preserved part of the castle. Nowadays the Točník ruin ranks among the largest in Bohemia.