The cycle trail KČT no. 143 begins at the Ráj crossroads. Be careful here, because the signpost promises to take you to Doksy, however in reality all is a little different and so this passage is here to put things right. Right at the beginning of the ascent of the old Romanov road turn left into a magical valley beneath Brusné. The red cycle trail of the Vrátenský circuit links on from the left at Příbohy and thus the trail is marked by red and yellow markers. Only when ascending are the signs enforced by the number 143. The route carries on along the road in this manner to Kružský důl. The route also begins with a sharp ascent because we are cycling beneath the highest hill of the area – Vrátenská Mountain. Two paths of the Vrátenský circuit lead to the peak of the mountain, one from the centre of Libovice, and the second from just behind the village. The short descent through the woods finishes with one of the first views on Bezděz. We gradually move into Nosálov, where there are a number of possibilities for refreshment after the previous difficulties of our uphill struggle. One shall find another cyclist crossroad opposite the well known pub “U Nás”. The 0008 trail to the right leads to Lobeč. We have already been down that road and so we shall keep to the main path and head on forward. The descent into Žďárský důl is long and fast. We shall say farewell to the Vrátenský circuit, which disappears in Kružský důl and a little further on we shall turn in the opposite direction onto a road ascending into Bezdědice, an old village of Czech nobility, destroyed around the year 1859 by fire – the church of St. Wenceslaswhich can be seen from afar is thus only of pseudo-Romanesque style, built in the years 1868-70.
Brief town characteristics
The town Mšeno lies in a moderately undulating landscape, on the very edge of an agricultural region located in the central part of the Jizera plain, churned up by numerous long (and mostly waterless) hollows. The town occupies a summit of a flat mound, which shelves down northwards into a relatively precipitous trench harboring sandstone glens. In these there are several ponds dispersed within. Mšeno seems to have originated far back in the past, as its locality adjacent to the significant Slavonic stronghold ”Hradsko” near Kanina suggests. Its contemporary parish church is alleged to have replaced the former Romanic church of St. Wenceslas’. The first known reference to the village (or rather a dorp) of Mšeno dates from 1348. In the course of the 13th century, Mšeno holds a landowner’s property position; the year of 1304 settles the village onto the hands of Hynek, the lord of Dubá, as a dispensation granted to him by Wenceslas II. As early as 1352, Mšeno is referred to as a “market town with church.” Later the town undergoes a separation into two parts – the regnal and the manorial (with a stronghold), which did not unify their properties until late 1621. Preceding to the Hussite wars, Mšeno had already enjoyed an abundance of privileges (these were extended in 1545).
For the entire month of July permanent as well as seasonal exhibitions are available in Hrádek, in the Stone House and the Tyl House. The exhibition called “Smaller game (2)” that showcases drawings of several artists such as Daniel Gawlik, Dalibor Lukáš and Rumjana Najdenova is to be visited in Hrádek. Do not miss a new cycle of exhibitions called “The Young Collectors” that was opened in the Tyl House in July. During this cycle pupils and students from Kutná Hora showcase some of their collections and Marie Králová will present her collection “Corrida – Bullfights”. New guided tours of medieval cellars in the Stone House are scheduled for Tuesdays at 3 p.m. Tourist guides dressed in historical costumes will lead through these mysterious cellars and get visitors acquainted with the exhibition called “Lapidarium - The Art of Stonemasons of the Middle Age”. The exhibition “Associations and personalities of Kutná Hora in the 19th century”, opened in May 2013, is still running in the Stone House. Another exhibition “Breweries in Kutná Hora Region” is to be seen in the Stone House. Its visitors will get acquainted with some already closed as well as with some of the existing breweries such as Kácov Brewery. The visit can be perfected with tasting of Kácov lager beer.